Baking with Mimi... Crunchy Pecan Pie
Autumn is fast approaching and we are definitely feeling it here at Mimi's. Our delicious pecan pie is the perfect treat to go with your coffee on a cold day. Make sure you share your creations with us with #bakingwithmimi Happy baking Mimi's fans! Love, Gillian x
Crunchy Pecan Pie
250g Plain flour
50g Icing sugar
125g Unsalted butter (cubed)
Splash of milk
175g Caster sugar
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
50g Melted unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- First make the pastry. Sieve the flour and icing sugar into a large bowl, then rub in the cubes of butter until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add in the egg and splash of milk and mix together with your hands until you have a ball of dough.
- Sprinkle a little of flour over the dough and on the surface before patting the ball into a circle about 2.5cm thick. Wrap in cling film and place in fridge for 30 minutes to chill. Once chilled grease a 25cm non-stick loose bottomed tart tin.
- Sprinkle flour on a surface again and roll out the pastry using a floured rolling pin until it is even and around 0.5cm thick. Carefully place on your greased tin, ensuring the pastry is in each side and trim off any excess pastry at the edges. Using a fork, prick all over the base before placing in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, place grease-proof paper over the base with rice on top of it. Blind bake for 10 minutes until firm then remove the rice and grease-proof paper and bake for another 10 minutes until golden, leave to cool.
- For the pie mix, place half of the pecans in a bag and use a rolling pin to finely bash them.
- Mix together the eggs and sugar together then add in the finely bashed pecans. Mix well until completely blended and smooth. Then mix in the melted butter, cinnamon and treacle, before folding in the remaining whole pecans. Pour the mix into the pastry case.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes until the filling starts sets at the sides.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for an hour and then enjoy!
Mimi’s top tip: serve with a scoop of clotted cream or ice cream!
Leave a Reply