Baking with Mimi... Coconut Jam Sponge
Another Mimi's favourite for you all to impress your family and friends with, our delicious Coconut Jam Sponge. A perfect treat for a sunny spring afternoon sitting out in your garden! Send us your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how it goes for you.
Love Gillian x
Coconut Jam Sponge
For blackberry and raspberry jam:
- 250g unsalted butter ½ teaspoon baking powder
250g caster sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs 80g desiccated coconut
250g self-raising flour 1 Tablespoon of milk
- 125g blackberries
- 125g raspberries
- ½ a lemon
- 125g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320F/ Gas mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until a pale and fluffy mixture and then beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, splash of milk and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Grease and line a cake tin, and pour the mixture in evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the sponge springs back on a light touch.
- Whilst the cake is in the oven, start preparing the jam.
- Use a fork to mash the blueberries, raspberries and sugar together in a small pan.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and bring to the boil.
Once boiling, allow it to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until lovely and thick. Then leave to cool.
*Remember to skim away any foam that rises when cooking*
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- Turn out the cake and spread jam on the top using a warm palette knife. Sprinkle desiccated coconut on top of the jam and enjoy!
Mimi's Top Tip: Serve hot with custard!
Leave a Reply